|About Maritime Cook Islands|
Maritime Cook Islands is building a world class Open Register for Ships and Yachts from our home in the Cook Islands, using internet technology.
1. Signed into law a new suite of Maritime Legislation - the Cook Islands Ship Registration Act 2007 and the Maritime Transport Act 2008 which both provide for Rule making to enable Cook Islands to simply and quickly keep up to date with changes to international requirements.
2. The Government of the Cook Islands has appointed Captain Ian Finley as our Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the IMO where his independence, experience and expertise is highly valued by the secretariat.
3. Signed up to all of the major IMO Conventions
4. Entered into formal agreements with the IACS Classification Societies and two other selected Societies
5. Developed a Quality Management System which is registered as being ISO 9001: 2008 certified. This system is designed to be as simple and user friendly as possible whilst still ensuring that Ships flying the Cook Islands Flag are in compliance and carry all the necessary certificates.
6. Developed the Cook Islands Online Registry Environment (CIORE) - the web enabled Ship Register, which can be used by our network to find and update information about Cook Islands registered ships and yachts, process applications and generate and issue certificates. This means that applications can be processed from anywhere in the world 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
7. Recruited and inducted a network of experienced maritime professionals to act as Deputy Registrars and Agents in the major Ship Owning centers of the world.
8. Cook Islands has been placed in the STCW White List since 24th May 2011 - MSC.1/Circ.1163/Rev.7
Maritime Cook Islands offers responsible ship owners exceptional service.
1. We aim to keep ships in compliance and to keep them moving. Through our CIORE online Register we will always know when a vessel is due for a survey or a certificate is about to expire. We will ensure that ships are maintained in compliance avoiding Port State Control problems.
2. Through our network of Deputy Registrars shipowners will be able to conduct business in their own time zone in their own language and get things done quickly and efficiently.
3. Cook Islands does not impose additional requirements on ship owners beyond the requirements of IMO Conventions read together with the IACS Unified Interpretations.
4. Through Cook Islands appointed IACS Class Societies and other Recognized Organizations and our network of Flag State Surveyors around the world shipowners should be able to obtain service in virtually any port.
Maritime Cook Islands is a Cook Islands owned and operated company that performs the Flag State responsibilities for the Cook Islands Ministry of Transport. Because we are based in Rarotonga we are able to get things done through the Cook Islands Government in a very efficient and timely manner.